Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cracked Wheat Bread = absolutely scrumptious!

Not to brag but I made the best bread that my lips have ever touched. It was that good. The first slice I added butter and then quickly realized it was so delicious I didn't need anything with it...it is fantastic as is!

Here is the recipe (I use a bread mechine which is totally not cheating in my book!)

Ingredients:Serves: 16

  • 1 Servings Sizeloaf
  • 11 ounces water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour or 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cracked wheat (or Red River Cereal)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast


Prep Time: 8 mins

Total Time: 43 mins

  • Add ingredients to bread bucket in order recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Select desired setting. I use the dough setting on my machine. Press "start".
  • If you used a regular setting, remove the finished bread when it is finished baking.
  • If you used the dough setting, dump the dough onto a floured countertop when the cycle is finished, knead a few times to remove air bubbles, shape into a loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Let rise until doubled or at least somewhat bigger, about 1 hour.
  • Bake for 35 minutes in oven preheated to 400ºF.

Confession: I ate 4 slices right away! I just couldn't resist. And my pup Olive was begging to try some so I let him. It gets his seal of approval! ;-)

5 comments:

Candace said...

omygosh! This looks fabulous! My husband is the baker in the family but he bakes without a bread machine. How hard to adapt this recipe to baking without a machine? I would love for him to make some of this over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!! Candace

~Rachel~ said...

Hey Candace, I don't think it would be that hard to adapt the recipe to baking without a machine. It your hubby is an experienced baker I'm sure he could do it. Either that or check out http://www.food.com/ because I think I saw a version of it with out the use of a machine.
If you try it let me know how it goes!!! :-)

La Belle Vie said...

That looks so delicious!! I don't have a bread machine either but the biggest difference I see is merely pounding it down and letting rise a couple times. I'll try it out and let you know how it needed to be adapted!!Yummy!!

Sey said...

I envy Olive she was able to taste your yummy bread. I wanted to try it, however I don't have the machine too. In that case I would be contented with the picture here. It makes me so hungry like I wanna grab it now.

Thanks for sharing another thing you love to do.

Meg O. said...

OMG. You must stop making me drool right now. I am pretty sure we have a breadmaker somewhere (wedding registry gift) and I need to find it. NOW. So I can make this.