Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Becoming Vegetarian -- Part 1

Have you ever considered becoming vegetarian? It was a lifestyle that I had contemplated many times but never took the leap due to not wanting to rock the boat in social situations. But 6 months ago I decided that I was going to eat what I liked and what felt right for me, and that involved eliminating meat. My reasoning was simple, I didn't feel comfortable eating animals. Seeing their body parts on my plate always grossed me out. I didn't particularly love the taste either so the transition was easy...I don't feel that I am missing anything that I formerly enjoyed.

With that I felt that doing a blog series called "Becoming Vegetarian" would be interesting for those who may be considering going veggie or for those who have a vegetarian in their life. There is so much that I'd like to cover that I decided to split it up into parts. Here are the topics I hope to cover-
  • Getting the appropriate nutrients in your vegetarian diet. 
  • Cooking for your family when they are not vegetarian. 
  • The benefits to vegetarianism. 
  • How to deal in social situations. 
  • My story in going vegetarian...how I started and how I've sustained this lifestyle. 
I don't necessarily have to go in any specific order with these topics so if there is one or a few that you'd prefer to read first let me know! 

My deliciously fresh vegetarian sandwich...yum! 

I would just like to add a little disclaimer to this post and the future posts in this series...I do not think that eating meat is morally wrong. I am just not comfortable doing it myself. I do not look down upon meat eaters or their choice to consume animal products. Being vegetarian is a personal decision that everyone has to make for him/her self. Also, I am not a dietitian or a doctor, these experiences are my own and what I have discovered and researched over the years. 

2 comments:

Meg O. said...

You know, I don't think I would mind going veggie. I don't really miss meat when it's not in a dish and I will always choose a veggie option if it is available.

Anonymous said...

The longest I have gone without eating meat is was little over a week. My BF is a meat and potatoes guy, and cooking two separate dinners does not sound fun lol