Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Unexpected ~ Part 2

I went to bed that night honestly not giving a second thought to the fact that I would be taking yet another  pregnancy test in the morning. But at 3 am I awoke with a sudden urge to do the deed. So I rolled out of bed on a mission to prove I was not with child. I dug out a box of tests I had purchased awhile back when we were still trying to get pregnant. I nonchalantly did my thing and waited for the allotted 5 minutes.

Those 5 minutes flew by because I thought for sure I already knew the result. That is why my heart practicly leaped out of my chest when I returned to the bathroom and discovered a second line! I did a double take..."this can't be" I said to myself. I stared at the line as if it may suddenly disappear. But it didn't. Thinking that the second line looked a bit faint for my liking I decided this particular test was faulty and I should take another one. So I did, and guess what? That one was positive too.

After trying a 3rd test which produced the same result I decided it might be time to inform my husband. Suddenly getting a burst of energy I dashed up the stairs to wake him up. "Hun, hun, wake up! I'm not sure but I think I might be pregnant!" I exclaimed. I can't imagine what M thought being woke up at 3:30 am with that sort of news. He followed me down the stairs where I pointed to my line up of pregnancy tests. His smile was all I needed to confirm I was not seeing things or going crazy, I was, according to these at home tests, pregnant! Both of us being slightly cynical by nature needed a Doctors confirmation that this was all happening. After all, we had tried fruitlessly for some time and moved on...how could we NOW be pregnant?

On Monday morning I promptly called the clinic as soon as they were open to schedule an appointment. I worked my powers of persuasion and got myself in that morning with a rush on the test results. The lab assured me they would try to have me fully informed by that afternoon. I don't even know how to describe the feeling I experienced when my phone rang. It is kind of all a blur. All I remember the nurse saying is that I was about 3 weeks pregnant and that I should get my first prenatal appointment set up. How can this be? I thought. I am going through an adoption...I can't be pregnant. After hanging up the phone I immediately sent a text to my husband who was at work. I was in a complete daze...here I was informing the hubster that the pregnancy was official. This was news I thought I would never have the chance to share with him...how serial!

But little did we know it was all just beginning...


♥ Helen said...

a wonderful story of your life <3

Cathy Kennedy said...

I remember my first pregnancy. The doctor's tests kept coming up negative while the first at home test should positive. About the time I was 6-weeks along with a no-show in my period the doctor insisted on seeing me. I was like you at the point of accepting I wasn't pregnant when I found out I was indeed pregnant. That was almost 25 years ago. Life is just beginning to get interesting. Enjoy the ride ahead!

Now following....

xo, Jersey Girl said...

Ok so I came over from the blog hop and read your first post and then I needed to see Part One and now after those two and both letters to your gorgeous boys, I am indeed a ball of tears! Your story is truly heartwarming and touching and I really needed it today! I look forward to hearing more of the story :)

Visiting from the blog hop and happy to be your newest follower <3

xo, Jersey Girl


Anne said...

I am trying to keep up on blogging Rachel, I have a lot of posts to get caught up on! :) I have been enjoying your updates lately though, although I have been bad about commenting. I was trying to find your page on FB and I do not think we are friends on there anymore? It is OK though if not! :)