Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Degree with Meaning

As I sit here on the morning of my graduation I am met with a whirl wind of emotions.

It’s not the actual act of graduation that has me feeling accomplished; it’s what I’ve overcome to get to this point.
It has taken me a while to find a degree I latch on to and follow through with it.

When I started college I was young and immature. I didn’t follow through with responsibility. I flirted with so many different degrees…I took classes in marketing, fashion retail, interior design, teaching, and nursing. I wasn’t sure what to do with myself.

To top off my indecision I also was very sick. I was battling mightily with anorexia. It took every ounce of my energy to make it to class. I did manage to receive a certificate as a Health Unit Coordinator which only spun me deeper into my disease.

I worked for a couple years in the field of healthcare and was truly miserable. This was clearly not the path for me.

Fortunately I have a very supportive husband and an amazing college mentor. With their support I looked at my credits and realized I only needed a couple semesters more to graduate with a degree in Education.

I’ve always been passionate about learning so the thought of returning to school to polish off what I had been unable to finish intrigued me. I also liked the possibilities having a degree in Education offered me.

So I quit my job as a Health Unit Coordinator and started my college journey yet again.

I went full force into my studies and really thrived.


Not being sick and becoming more mature and focused really suited me well.

Excelling in the classroom gave me the courage to apply for a job in the fashion world that I normally wouldn’t have had the guts to do.

I have been able to channel the leadership skills I’ve learned through my classes in Education to my current job in fashion retail.

I’m not sure what I will do with my new degree. I may never use it to become a teacher. But the simple act of having it puts a spring in my step. The life lessons learned in obtaining it have been immeasurable.

This experience will serve me well in the future and show case my efforts in a way I was unable to do before.

I am finally a college graduate.

And ya know what? It feels fantastic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!Following from Friday Follow. Have a great week! :)